Food And Beverage Industry Development Sector Deputy Director General
Sectors objectives: the objective of the sector shall be to provide all round support to the Food and Beverage industry and thereby accelerate technology transfer, achieve transformation and enable the industry to be competitive at international level.
· Facilitate the export of food and beverage products
· Facilitate import substitution
· Support food and beverage industries to use second schedule tax incentives
· Support food and beverage industries to use export incentives like voucher
· Conduct new product development through research and development
· Conduct capacity building trainings to industries on productivity, kaizen, food safety and quality, etc
· Evaluate feasibility studies on sector products
· Conduct food fortification technical support to wheat flour, edible oil and salt producing companies
· Advice on technology transfer
· Formulate strategic plan
· Formulate policies and provide to policy makers
· Conduct problem solving studies and provide to decision makers
· Evaluate and transfer technology
· Conduct different kinds of capacity building trainings
· Conduct production commissioning activities
· Facilitate the export of new food and beverage products
· Conduct input-output ratio calculations
· Evaluate technology and allow foreign expatriate
· Conduct standard development on food and beverage products
Policy, and strategy, guidelines of the sector
· Policy of the Sector:
· Industry policy
· Food and Nutrition Policy
· Strategy of the Sector:
· Fruit and vegetable industries development strategy
· Spice industry strategic plan
· Ethiopian Industrial Development strategic plan
· Guidelines of the Sector:
· Guideline for Internal and External monitoring of fortified Edible fats, Oil, Salt and wheat flour
· Guideline on food fortification with micronutrient
· Ethiopian edible oil industry mapping
· Ethiopian wheat flour industry mapping
· Food fortification plan of action
· Ethiopian Food, Beverage and Pharmaceutical Industry Development Institute ten years strategic plan
· Guideline for second Schedule
· Export incentive guideline
· Foreign expatriate guideline
· Formulate policies, strategies and action plans that assist in the acceleration of Food and Beverage industry and implement the same upon approval by the Government
· Identify through Research and Development relevant technologies applicable to the development of the food and beverage industry, perform production process and product development activities on new and traditional products and transfer these technologies to the industry and support them to enter the market; and assist the industry to establish research and development units.
· Conduct other studies and research activities including market research that support the food and beverage industry; assist industry to promote their products in the domestic as well as International markets and work closely with relevant stakeholders in order to implement effective marketing systems in the industry.
· Collect, analyze and organize technological, market and other data necessary for the development of the food and beverage industry and disseminate same to users, as may be necessary.
· Prepare and disseminate project profiles that may help expansion of investment in the food and beverage industry; follow up and assist project implementation and provide remedies for problems encountered during implementation, assist the industry in getting rid of investment bottlenecks and conduct promotional activities.
· Assist investors desiring to engage in the food and beverage industry by providing advice in the selection of technology, negotiation, construction, erection and commissioning.
· In collaboration with other stakeholders, prepare and conduct practical trainings on technology, technical matters, marketing and management and other tailor-made trainings that may assist the development and competitiveness of the food and beverage industry.
· Provide consultancy services to food and beverage industry concerning production process, production planning and quality assurance; establish pilot plants and laboratories to support the industry, provide international level testing services, encourage industry to establish laboratories and assist them to get certification so as to make them internationally competitive.
· Build its capacity to international standard through twinning programs so as to support the industry effectively; cooperate with local and foreign governmental and private institutions having similar objectives and also encourage similar cooperation between private institutions.
· Work with universities in product and human resource development, conduct joint research activities, assist the industry in establishing linkages with the universities; work with technical and vocational training centers to build the human resource of the industry at lower and middle levels.
· Undertake benchmarking studies to enhance the development and competitiveness of the food and beverage industry and facilitate the implementation of compiled best practices by the industry.
· Support the supply of inputs to the food and beverage industry so as to ensure the regular availability of inputs in terms of variety, quantity, and quality; extend the necessary support and follow up to ensure effective linkage among the actors of the sector based on the respective value chains starting from raw material up to global market; also support micro and small manufacturing enterprises with medium and large industry in terms of production, processing technology and training.
· Encourage the development of food and beverage industry zones to mobilize national and foreign investors operating in the industry zones.
· Establish entrepreneurship development program and incubation centers to create new and vibrant entrepreneurs in the sector.
· Support the development of packaging industry to make food and beverage industry competitive in the market.
· Provide support to food and beverage industry to use renewable energy sources and to operate in an environment friendly manner.
· Promote post harvest technologies, cold chain, modern ware houses, modern transport facilities, and other necessary logistics for the sector to reduce post harvest losses.
· Provide capacity building support to the food and beverage industry sector associations so that they can play their proper role in the promotion of trade and investment in the sector.
· Facilitate foreign trade (export) of food and beverage products so that the foreign currency earnings of the sector industry will be boosted.
· Work on input and product substitution of the food and beverage products through research and development activities